I disagree. If you want to go to required reading, read some of Barsness's stuff. Read how he compares scopes and why he compares that way. Then read all about the tiny differences between the "super euros" and the much cheaper, top of the line Leupolds.
What I've seen in all of this is Leupold often gets a bum rap.
These fall into the same catagories post after post.
Some guy who's a die hard bench rest shooter gets mad at Leupold because his scope doesn't continue to perform to the extreme standards of that game. But when asked what scope works better at that game, he says none. Then goes on to say that if Leupold made their scopes like Tucker modifies them, all would be well. Only to learn later that the Tucker modified scopes break down too.
Or the "better glass" especially during twilight, etc. It turns out that you have the new, hottest euro being compared to a much older Leupold that sometimes has nothing like the coatings that the new glass had even when it was new.
On top of all of this, I've seen my mighty funny comparisons. One guy compared a Leupold set at 5X to a Swaro set at 6X.... Still others insist that while you can focus the image on a euro scope, all you focus with a Leupold is the reticle. Nothing could be further from the truth.
On top of it all is the fact that a slightly sharper scope, and that's all they really have makes no difference during low hunting. That's because you really don't have to see much of the target to make a shot. You do, however, need to see the reticle.
Then there is this business of the Leupold tactical scopes not workjing as they should. Again, apparently it's their much cheaper scopes, like their VXII's and VXIII's, not their Mk.4 scopes, which have these differences.
What it boils down to is does the choice you make work well for you ? Do you understand the design differences ? Do you know how to adjust them for the best performance ? And do you know what to expect from different classes of scopes when it comes to scope performance ?
The Leupold Haters can have all off the fun they want at Leupold's expense. But the fact is Leupold, in the past 10-12 yrs., has doubled in production output, not once, but twice. They keep adding more and more scopes to their offerings. You don't see much of that from their competition. E