Originally Posted by rainshot
People are not "Property". Slaves were forbidden to be educated. Some were taught only a single job like blacksmithing or cooking and cleaning. They were forbidden to own any property. They were chattel and only that. They were fed with food they largely grew and clothed as the owner saw fit. housed as well. They were forbidden to marry. As property their women could be taken at the owners discretion and bred. Reconstruction was a nightmare for the South thanks to Booth's success. It took many years to overcome the hatred, animosity and superstitions some of which exist today. The democrat party today is just as viral as it was in the "solid south". Instead of murdering blacks and denying them any rights they imprison them in other ways. They have managed to keep many blacks on the plantation by convincing them that democrats alone are their salvation. That's changing largely because of Trump.

Several statements in the above are untrue. Granted, there were some jurisdictions that did have laws against educating slaves, but this was not universal at all. It was not unusual at all for a master to educate a slave that showed promising capability, at least to some extent, so that he could assist in some duties as needed. Some slaves were allowed to participate in limited commerce, such as gardening, shoe making, commercial fishing, etc, that were financed by the owner and the slave was allowed to keep part of the profits. Some slaves actually were able to purchase their freedom from these proceeds. Granted, such arrangements were strictly between the master and slave and not a legal contract, but they were certainly not unheard of at all. There actually were more free blacks living in the south in 1860 than there were in the northern "free" states. They were not overwhelming, but they certainly did exist and were not uncommon. Shockingly to some, there actually were a number of black slave owners. I have been told that in Alabama in 1860 of the five largest slave owners, one was himself black. I believe the majority of black slave owners were living in south Louisiana. Slaves were trained for jobs that their masters needed. That is just common sense. If an owner had a need for a common field laborer, why would he train his slave to be a blacksmith, harness maker, tailor, or a cook, etc.? Certainly no need to train him/her in higher mathematics, astronomy, chemical engineering, philosophy, etc. As to the idea that slaves were forbidden to marry, that is news to me. While I suppose some masters may have forbidden such, I have never ran across any such documentation. In fact, quite the opposite. Slave weddings on the plantations were often rather gala affairs celebrated with singing, a barbecue, and separate quarters provided for the couple. In the event that both were not owned by the same master, it was common practice for one master to purchase from the other the other slave. Again, while this was not law, it was common practice. I am sure there were some issues that arose from this if one of the owners objected, but it was certainly not forbidden in any sense. Unfortunately, then as well as now, some people are just [bleep]. Sad, but true. I am not trying to say that all slaves were treated so wonderfully by all masters, but quite the majority were treated well. I well remember reading copies of letters written during the war by an Alabama infantryman to his wife advising her to hire a local negro woman to help her with the small farm and their young children. He made it clear to her to make sure that the woman was to be treated fairly and was to be properly compensated for her work. As well as being a small farmer, this soldier was also a school teacher by trade. However well treated or not, slaves were not free and there is a strong human desire for freedom. Unfortunately, many did not understand what actual freedom meant. Many when suddenly freed thought that not only meant they were no longer to work, but they still expected to be cared for. Since the Yankee government freed them, they expected the Yankee government to care for them. Hence the Yankee carpetbagger promise of "40 acres and a mule" to all new freed ex-slaves that would vote for them into office. I will offer no comment on that fact. As to the J.W. Booth affair, I strongly suspect it would not have happened if Lincoln had not instigated or at least approved of what is known as the Dahlgren Affair where a force of assassins disguised as Confederate cavalry attempted to infiltrate Richmond one night with orders to find and murder President Davis, Vice President Stephens, all of the Confederate cabinet members, senators and congressmen they could find. Not capture, but kill. These orders were found on the body of Yankee Colonel Dahlgren. For those who refuse to believe this, the document still exists. Not saying this event resulted directly in the assassination of Lincoln, but also not saying it did not. I am saying that paybacks can be hell.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."