“Reon is from Pennsylvania and he’s a friend of mine”
Early bird
Thanks. I can understand his point about “my ancestors did this” crowd, but I cannot fathom the logic of baiting me into a confrontation!
Mike, as usual you’re looking at a much bigger picture than most of us do.
I have commented several times about the cotton gin saving African slavery from being strangled by the weight of itself. But I never considered how steam powered looms in England and France had increased the worth of those same slaves!
That said the embargo of cotton in 1961, was pizz poor timing because of the existing glut of cotton. Also the fire eaters never considered that India was already producing cotton as well.
Actually the feudal system used there was almost as brutal as the worst slave plantations. Like I said, as property, slaves were actually better off than supposedly free workers in other parts of the world and the US!
This opens up another intrinsic point that is often overlooked. Western European countries like England, France, and Germany have a history of considering themselves “better” than the Pollocks, Hunkies, Dagos and Micks! There were usually British and German formens enforcing the control of the miners and factory workers!
For the most part, other than the treatment of freed blacks, we Americans avoided discrimination against other ethnic groups due to where they’re from.
Maybe that’s just me talking though. I have experienced several instances where I’m judged of something purely because of the fact I’m from Pennsylvania.
Fetterman, trade unions and other things are thrown in my face, only because I live in Pennsylvania!
You know what? Never mind! Discrimination is part of every day life, even here on the ‘Campfire!🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden