Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by johnn
Haven't read everything, probably got stoopid for one reason or another.

Say what you want about Lincoln. If not for his foresight there would be no "United States" as we know it today.

His goal with the civil war was to preserve the union. And the rebels struck the first blow.

He also knew he had to unite the country east to west, he pushed hard for the transcontinental railroad and made that happen.

If it wasn't for him it would be divided, just like Europe.

Image a country from sea to sea, now we just need to take over Canada, expect Quebec. They can keep that.
It might have been better for the whole world had the United States broken up into 4 or 5 different countries instead of how it turned out. Maybe we wouldn't have taken over policing the world and rescuing the British and the French and Eastern Europe and China which with hindsight we can see didn't work out so well for them and completely has broken the USA.

Oh well, as my brother always says "that ship has sailed".

The most disastrous event in the last 125 years was the defeat of Germany in WW I. That destroyed Western Civilization, led directly to Hitler and the Bolsheviks in Russia. And that was caused solely because of American intervention.

So, yeah if things had turned out differently in the Civil War there likely would have been no American intervention in WW I. So no German defeat, no communist in Russia, and no Hitler. Without those events, probably no Chinese communists either. It’s difficult to see how the world might have turned out, but very difficult to see how things could be worse than they are.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/14/24.