Slavery was a large factor in secession. Nobody can rightly deny that.
But I pointed out in a previous post that the reason for not agreeing to evacuate the forts on the southern coast were monetary considerations, not interfering with slavery. Lincoln refused to give those forts up because he needed them to enforce the collection of tariffs and duty’s.
Imagine what a tariff free zone in the south would do to ports like Boston, New York and Philadelphia!
They’d have been ghost towns in a years time!
But I also pointed out that the average person, north or south, had no reason at all to fight a war over African slavery.
Most southern people couldn’t afford slaves, and the average northern worker feared free slaves would cause lower wages for themselves.
Rich man’s war on account of northern banks control over shipping and tariffs, rich man’s war in the south because of them wanting to protect and expand slaver.
Poor man’s fight because only bankers and large plantation owners could afford to pay the $300 to avoid being drafted or hiring someone else to take your place in the ranks.
Very interesting story about you great granddad and his family! I’m pleased to hear it!
Reon

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 02/16/24.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden