I understand the point just fine now. You and I are obviously in agreement! I have made my opinion of Lincoln known on this thread and many others.
But I do take a little insult for being used as an example. Sorry, that’s just my reaction to a lot of people on the fire. I’ve learned over the years to be a little defensive, because you really can’t swing a dead cat around here without hitting an idiot!😀
You aren’t an idiot, but you gotta admit you did use their tactics!😀
I have stated that slavery was the main factor in secession. That is undeniable!
But I don’t hold to the theory that secession had to lead to civil war.
In 1861, very few people were ever more than 30 miles from their homes.
In that context, I’d have most definitely signed up in a Pennsylvania unit of volunteers. People were all over enlistment early on. Folks were actually turned away disappointed as regiments filled up before they could get in.
But armed now with hindsight, I can clearly see that it was the Lincoln government forcing a war that most folks really had no real reason to pursue! That said, most of us here in the north really should have fought for the confederacy.
I’m trying to recall the Tennessee Governor’s response to Lincoln’s all for militia.
“Tennessee will not provide a single troop for suppression of Southern states. But we will supply 100,000 in defense of their right to rule themselves “! (Paraphrased)
Southerners didn’t own slaves, northerners couldn’t have cared less about slavery. Lotta folks walked off from the army when slavery was made an issue. It came about purely because emancipation was a carrot and stick approach to solving a war which should have never happened!
I gotta admit, civil war history is a passion of mine, and I do honestly enjoy these discussions. Obviously I’m not alone!😀
There’s always gonna be people who will bitch about “another thread” that doesn’t interest them. Like I said, I think some people are just compelled to bitch.
It is a cold hard fact of life that some people can’t be happy unless they’re making somebody else miserable!🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden