Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by johnn
Say what you want about Lincoln. If not for his foresight there would be no "United States" as we know it today.
Are you happy with the United States as we know it today?

Not sure what your point is, but I could venture a guess. If you have one, why don't you just come out and say it rather than acting like a Democrat, maybe you are?

I think the USA is the best country on the planet.
Could it be better? Sure it could, you blaming Lincoln for the current state of affairs?

Laughable

Apparently you think we would be better off divided.
Yes, I blame Lincoln for the current state of affairs. Prior to the civil war, the states controlled, at year in theory, the federal govt. Their trump card, should the feds over step their authority, was secession. Lincoln destroyed that.

Since then, the federal govt is no longer restrained by the constitution, and the states can't do anything about it.

We would definitely be better off divided. Most of the crap that comes out of Congress comes from the representation of liberal states. If we were divided, California, New York, and Illinois would have no say in how I live my life.

Why blame Lincoln when he was merely doing what he was Constitutionally required to do and when it was the South who insisted on bullets over ballots in refusing to accept the result of a free and fair election?
I equate Lincoln with George 3. The only difference is which side won the war.

Accepting the results of an election, when the other side's stated position is the destruction of your way of life isn't noble. It's suicide.