Originally Posted by Klikitarik
MH, You might be surprised at the number of people who come bear hunting who do not shoot the bigger stuff especially well. ... Calibers like your 375, and my 458, may help compensate for more marginal hits or put the big bears down a little quicker and keep them down a second longer, but they are certainly no more lethal....

A person (guide) who is compelled to finish a botched harvest (wounded bear) is well served by the use of a rifle with more �oomph� than what a hunter might use. A wounded bear can be a whole different creature than even an aware and wary bear. A bear that isn�t hit well might as well have been darted instead with a heavy dose of adrenaline.

I am generally an �enough gun� advocate but excellent placement of a proper bullet always rules #1.

I don't disagree, and I don't think I have said otherwise. But, for those who have taken the objective and learned to shoot something bigger well (it can be done with practice and focus, if you want to), it's better to go big. I honestly shoot my .340 Wby Accumark more accurately than all my other rifles, including my .375. so, I can't see why I would take a .270 I don't shoot any better on my hunt next Sept. Ten years ago, I might make a different decision, and it would not be wrong, like that of many others. But, it you can shoot a medium bore as well as a deer rifle, and you have one, go big. No harm. Possibly some benefit.