This is a very interesting topic especially since Phil has posted. My two grizzly hunts to Alaska were very different. The fall hunt was done from a tree stand positioned adjacent to active feeding sites along streams. The grassy areas were littered with salmon parts and reeked of a badly managed fish cannery. Wide trails through the willows showed were bears walked. They bedded up during the day, usually at some elevation to stay cool and came down at the evening to feed. My first night was in a ground blind and we had bears all around us. Watched an 8 footer walk by down the middle of the stream so close you could hear his breathing. Almost ended it there. Did take one just at 8 feet from a tree stand 3 nights later. Used a 375 H&H Kimber Talkeetna, 48 yards with a 270 TSX.

The prior spring hunt in April, was on snow machines traveling vast distances during the day. we were hampered with constant snow and "flat light" which made spotting harder. Hunted hard for 10 days traveling a couple hundred miles by camper and then by machines. One morning at elevation McKinley popped out into clear sky and sunshine. I have some wonderful photos. No bear but a great trip nonetheless and which showed my snow machine skills to be greatly lacking.
Same Talkeetna, unfired.

Talked to the guide yesterday. They went 50% which is terrible for him. They had tough snow conditions due to high temps which made for soft snow and a dangerous situation with numerous avalanches. This kept them from getting to some bears they could see through spotters.

The guide has become fan of the 300RUM due to the distances the spring bear hunters find themselves in. He had one bear swim a river to his dying rabbit call only to have the wind switch and the bear turn back in midstream.

From yesteryear:

Went and looked up in my Oct. 1958 Outdoor Life a story on Kodiak bear hunting.
A couple of boys you may heard of - Pinnell and Talifson down around Olga Bay
Kodiak Island had two hunters. Both shot great bears on either side of 10 feet. One went 28 inches and the other 30 1/16. I believe the record at that time was 31 inches. Both hunters used 30-06's, one a pump (Rem 760), the other a bolt (Husky) and 220 gr. Core Lokts. One bear at 85 yards on the level and the other shot from above down to a ledge at 100 yards.

Anyway, its all good stuff.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/07/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.