Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Royce
A sledgehammer, typically weighs about 10 pounds, which is, ironically 10 times as heavy as a 16 ounce framing hammer, and can be swung about as fast as the framing hammer.
The most powerful shoulder fired sporting rifle is not ten times more powerful than a standard, non magnum. That's one place your anaogy falls apart.
The second place your analogy falls apart is that in the field, under observation covering 30 years of experience, the lighter calibers ( the claw hammer in your analogy) has proven MORE SUCCESSFUL in doing the intended job than the heavy magnums, in the hands of guided hunters.
So, using the hammer analogy of yours, the correct question would be "If, over 30 years of performing rtasks where a claw hammer was more successful than a sledge hammer was in performing the same task, why would someone insist that it was better to use the sledge hammer."

Among other things, I have .308s, a .300 Win Mag, a 7mm Wby, a .340 Wby, and a .375 Wby. I shoot my 340 better than any of them.

I went to the range last Sunday, and I shot mostly 1-1/4"-1-3/4" groups at 200yds with my .340 Wby--about the same, but slightly better than I do with my 7mm and .300. I'm taking my .340 back to Unit 17B this Sept. A .50 BMG does more damage than a .22 LR. While the differences are smaller, the .338-.375 calibers do more damage than a 7mm. Just is what it is. Physics. Common sense. I love my 7mm, but it's just reality. I'd love to bring a .243 to go brown bear hunting so I wouldn't have to feel a heavier push on my shoulder (which I didn't notice in the least last time with my .375 when squeezing the trigger on a chance of a lifetime target). I would be all for it if I thought it was a good idea when I might not get to do it again for a long time or forever--who knows. The only reason that I can shoot my .375 and .340 well is that I worked hard at it and mitigated recoil at the range (padding, etc ...). Hard, but not that hard. It's not that hard. I'm not taking my 7mm. I shoot it well. I shoot my .340 better.

Originally Posted by 458Win
Discounting the shooters ability with the rifle , my choice for optimum would fall somewhere in the power range between the 338 Win and the 375 H&H.

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
� I'm just saying that there is a big kickback on here for people who suggest using something heavier than a deer rifle on brown bear. There are many posts about how people show up to a guided hunt and are ridiculed because of the rifle they choose. I'm sure that happens and I'm sure there are many who have not worked, even minimally, to become proficient with their rifle, whatever that may be, including big-bores. I was just focusing on the hunters who do become, or are considering becoming, effective through work and range time with something along the lines of what you consider ideal. My point is that, if you can become proficient with a 30-06, there is a good chance you can do the same with something like a .338. One thing that may be overlooked is using a decent recoil shoulder pad when practicing. It makes a huge difference. And when shooting at the game, you won't notice it's not there.

True enough. A competent shooter with a 375 can kill a bear just as quick and just as dead as a competent hunter with a 30-06. And sometimes, maybe, a little bit quicker. Which is why so many of us choose to hunt with as big a rifle as we think we can shoot well.

When I stated my ideal as being between, and including, the 338 and the 375 I specifically didn't mention flavors as in real life there isn't all that much difference in performance on game. In my camp I have two 375 Rugers, two 375 H&H and two 338 Win rifles as loaners and four of the guides who work for me the most all carry and prefer 375 Rugers and the fifth has just built a long throated 338 Win.

Marinehawk,

Nice choice on the .340 Weatherby cartridge. I have a couple friends who swear by the .300 Weatherby but I feel the .340 is the most versatile Weatherby round.