Well, it took 8 pages to get this topic headed in the wrong direction thanks to StripBuck. But he does have a point to make albeit in condescending manner. I'm sure Mr. Phil would agree that he has seen quite a few hunters come into camp with 300's on up who were masters with that cartridge. But as he alludes, modern bullet design and recoil shy hunters have brought him to still recommend the 30-06. He certainly wouldn't do this if it put the hunter/guide at risk or the bear to endure an unethical harvest. No one can question his ability to know and understand the abilities of the brown bear.
If a guide recommends cartridge "X", that is an excellent benchmark. If you possess something "bigger" than "X" and are a legitimate master with it, then that is great too. But there is no reason to get off on the wrong foot. The guide bases his recommendation on his years of observations. The guide has no idea as to the first time clients abilities other than to write the check and sound confident. If you can truly handle a bigger caliber, great. If not, you are a fool.

This same scenario is played out when someone from the eastern US heads out west for their first elk hunt. They perceive the need for a 300+ because of all that they read or heard. They ignore reality when there is plenty of info showing that the .308/.270/30-06 is plenty adequate.

I think many here are surprised when a master guide recommends the 30-06 for the big Kodiak species. Who knew you had "enough gun" all along?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/08/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.