Try this for the 3rd time cause you seem to keep missing my questions MH and was curious about some of your reasoning and just wanted to better understand your line of thinking.

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
It�s different for an AK resident, who can hunt brown bear, moose, caribou, sheep etc� several times a year to go out hunting brown bear, perhaps along with other game on the menu, with a .270, .308, 25-06, etc �, than it is for someone from Arkansas, like the OP, to scrape together scarce resources to spend a huge amount of money and time on a once-in-a-lifetime or even a somewhat rare hunt--primarily for brown bear.....

One big distinction that some don't recognize is the difference between AK residents, who can hunt BB at will, and out-of-state hunters who have to spend great resources on a possibly once or twice-in-a-lifetime hunt....

If I was hunting BB essentially in my backyard, I would be happy to hunt with a .270, .308, whatever. But not if I'm spending a ton of money and time just to get there.

MH,

You keep bringing up this point about since residents can hunt brown bear every year as an OTC tag and only have to spend $2500 on a remote fly out hunt to 17B then sense we spent less money somehow that makes us feel better using a smaller round.

Furthermore you'd be inclined to do the same from what I gather in these posts I quoted from you. Care to explain what you mean, cause you make it sound as though since we are residents we are willing to use these "marginal" caliber rifles because were aren't as invested monetarily as a non-resident and some how more willing to risk wounding a animal? When in the reality we aren't the ones hunting with a guide and has a clean up crew right there with you anyways if you do muff it up. But you are saying above if the guide wasn't there to help take the animal down from a bad shot you'd you more apt to use a smaller rifle? I would think as residents without a guide we'd be more inclined to ensure the bear is hit well than one that has a guide behind them to back them up.

I fail to see this point you are trying to make by you repeating to voice this stance, so if you get time and care to explain that would be great.

Personally, I could care less what one choose to hunt brown bear with so long as they are comfortable with it and shoot it well. But you feel this need for you defend your choice of a 340 wby and no one is saying you shouldn't. If you like it and shoot it well use it again it obviously works as will many other options. Best of luck to you this fall sir.