Originally Posted by 458Win
Besides the typical hunters with new, overbore magnums purchased just for the hunt ...... and a hunter who sighted in and brought 300 Win ammo for his 300 Wby rifle ( we didn't catch that one until my son, who was guiding him, called on the radio the first evening to ask if we had any Wby ammo in camp )

You can guess just how well these guys shot at the range .

Bringing up a new, overbore, magnum rifle is the Alaskan equivalent of wearing a bowie knife to deer camp. It makes an early impression, but not the intended one.

458Win;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and your fine family doing acceptably well.

Thanks for the chuckle and the fond memories your post brought back to me this morning. You see sir, somewhere in my collection of hunting "stuff" is just such a case as you mention in the first part of your quote - a .300 Win Mag fired from a shiny new Weatherby. blush

A now passed on shooting buddy used to help out the local sheep guide out by picking up hunters from the airport and then taking them down for a "sight in session" at the local range.

As I recall he said the accuracy wasn't all that bad considering the sport had never shot the Weatherby before that sunny Okanagan fall day....... what a way to start a sheep hunt out - perhaps much better than a coastal grizzly hunt though I guess? eek laugh

That said Phil, locals aren't immune to odd behavior either.

I was at the same range one spring day and on the bench to the right of me was a chap torching off a shiny new Ruger 77 tang model .338 Win Mag.- the story is now officially dated - without hearing protection and displaying one of the more wicked flinches I've personally witnessed.

As is my practice I carry spare foam plugs and offered him some.

He firmly declined saying "there'll be no ear plugs when I'm huntin' griz at Bella Coola"

I don't even need to mention that his 100yd target looked like he'd been testing buckshot do I?

Honestly he was flinching so badly that he'd close his eyes and take rotate his head to the left, that is toward my bench, at every shot.

One can assume/conclude that most bears in the area were safe from this chap. wink

Anyway sir, it's gratifying to read that some hurdles faced transcend borders and all that. Hopefully you or someone got a grin from my story as I did from yours.

All the best to you this Father's Day Phil.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/14/14. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"