funny some of the misconceptions on the guiding biz

and while I don't have the experience that Phil does I've made some observations about the biz during my years of guiding folks

vast majority of hunters/clients are good folks but as most people counted in significant numbers the 80/20 rule applies, though truthfully I think it's more 20/60/20

20% of those booking are good folks and accomplished outdoorsmen and are most likely using a guide because it's either required for the species or they have the $$ to do so and realize logistics, scouting etc. are best utilized by those that spend a fair amount of time in the neck of the woods they're going to hunt.

60% are outdoor enthusiasts, and their skills run from good to not so good those skills run the gamut, from being able to walk well in rough country to being able to shoot and deal with inclement weather.

20% or less, the only qualification they had to hunt was that their check cleared and they are looking for a new experience

guide biz is a people biz, personal recommendations of folks that have hunted with you are the backbone to a successful operation, glossy brochures can't take the placed of solid word of mouth advertising

thus, I've not found it popular (for successful outfits) to treat clients like idiots

about the only time that happens is when the client truly is an idiot and no amount of coaching, or help will deter him from his idiot ways.

certainly possible to find a guide not well suited for the vocation he's chosen and due to his own limitation of either skills or self worth he practices trying to make others feel stupid. Those guys do end up in the profession on occasion, but typically don't last long in it, at least not with successful outfitters.

Odds are strong, if you feel like you've been treated like an idiot by your guide, you either drew the example above....or perhaps the problem lies closer to home.

if you ran into the former, my apologies and sincere sympathy for your bad luck

however if you got treated as an "idiot" by one or more of the many reputable hard working guides, well you have my deepest sympathy for your even worse luck (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.