Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by 458Win
Because I don't own either a .270 or a 7mm. But I certainly have no problem allowing my clients to use them and as I have stated earlier in this discussion, the shooters using them used less bullets and killed theirs just a quickly as ANY client using a .338, .340 Wby or .375. Simply because they could shoot them.
I would say that they were unusual hunter thought because they were experienced enough to know and admit that they shot them better because they kicked less.
Even you, who claims to shoot your 340 better from the bench due to ample padding, says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.
I have heard a lot of claims but have yet to meet a person who could shoot a heavy rifle "better" from a field position CONSISTENTLY than a rifle with less recoil.

And while I may not own a 270 or 7mm, I have and do hunt brown bears with my 30-06.

�Even you � says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.�

I actually didn�t say that. My 7mm Wby, .340 Wby, and .375 Wby all recoil about the same. My 7mm is lighter than my .340, which is lighter than my .375. They all feel about the same. It�s just that my .340 is, so far, a tack driver that I can shoot really well, even better than my smaller-caliber rifles. That being said, I get better groups out of it than I do my .243 Win, and .308s etc� When I said I would love to bring my 7mm on a BB hunt, I meant because it�s really light, not because it recoils less. But, in my case, the weight difference is not enough to make me bring a .243 or a 7mm on a brown bear hunt. I can carry the .340 Wby. The difference between that and a lighter rife is less than 1% of my weight+ the gear I carry. That < 1% is worth it to me even if it is not, or should not be, to others. Just my perspective.

Really??? No chance of you ever being called sensitive if those three recoil the same to you. A nominal 40% decrease in recoil energy is not easily perceived by your greatness...

Just wow!

Just noticed this. I can't keep up with and rebut all the attacks, but yeah, there is a 37% difference in the momentum of the 160gr TSX leaving my 7mm ULW at 3,240fps and the 225gr TTSX leaving my .340 at 3,160 fps. The .340 rile weighs 24% more than the ULW lighter 7mm. Of course, you have to know the powder weight, and sometimes a rifle firing a faster/lighter bullet "feels" to recoil more. Perhaps they're 12% or so apart, but they "feel" about the same. It's in the same order of magnitude. The rifles weigh differently, and at the range, I put a 1-lb bipod on each and wear a recoil pad. and they feel about the same or so. Nothing terrible if you put a pad on your shoulder. Seriously, it's effective to have someone load/unload your rifle before you shoot so that you don't know if it will recoil when you shoot. Doing that, it's not too hard if you try to get to where you don't flinch. It isn't that hard. Just like diving the first time off the high-dive. The first time, it's seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. Then after you do it s few times, it's kind of fun. Jut gotta practice. Light hot 7mm recoils about like a stout heavier .338. Some difference. Not enough for me to notice. A thick shoulder pad at the range makes a huge difference. It really does. Yeah, my .375, 340, 300 WM, and 7mm rifles all weigh differently. So, the all recoil similarly because of that.