Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by 458Win

It is a poor workman, or hunter, who blames their tools.

Phil, is there's a reason why you don't hunt BB with a .270 or 7mm?

Because I don't own either a .270 or a 7mm. But I certainly have no problem allowing my clients to use them and as I have stated earlier in this discussion, the shooters using them used less bullets and killed theirs just a quickly as ANY client using a .338, .340 Wby or .375. Simply because they could shoot them.
I would say that they were unusual hunter thought because they were experienced enough to know and admit that they shot them better because they kicked less.
Even you, who claims to shoot your 340 better from the bench due to ample padding, says that the 7mm is more pleasant to shoot. It sounds like it could be simply that your 340 is a more accurate rifle from the bench.
I have heard a lot of claims but have yet to meet a person who could shoot a heavy rifle "better" from a field position CONSISTENTLY than a rifle with less recoil.

And while I may not own a 270 or 7mm, I have and do hunt brown bears with my 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.