With cup and core bullets I suggest twice the Foot Pounds Energy as the animal weighs. I. E. 750 pounds needs 1500 pounds at impact.

My suggestions are not for " long range" shots. ( over 500 yards) I have no experience.

Sectional density should be .25 for elk. As in 165 grain 30 caliber.

What I still do not understand is if FPE is so inaccurate to refer to why is I it so published and calculated in reloading manuals?
Further more why is it so bad to share and recommend such easily documented indices of a kinetic energy based projectile?

Is some one trying to re invent the wheel? Is this based on kidney stone removal data?

Why would I make this recommendation? In case one encounters a point blank shot, or a raking shot.

If one is disciplined to wait for the perfect harvest scenario by all means shoot just exactly what you rehearse.

But also please don't tread on me because I may suggest " overkill".

The monolithic bullet will behave differently, Terminal Ballistic Research web sight or some excellent studies posted here will also help you make informed decisions.

From what I have gathered you need roughly 2000 fps at impact with a monolithic to get it to expand. A study posted here showed a 130 grain 30 caliber will penetrate very well even at point blank on bovine femur ( stifle) joint.

Hope this helps.

Gather wood where you may ,we all feed the same fire.

Last edited by Angus1895; 08/22/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills