Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Really?

Perhaps you should read this:
http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwii/woundblstcs/chapter2.htm

Just one example.

As I said- there is no legit US DOD, DOJ, or medical entity the lists, measures, or cares about "ft-lbs energy".

The Military still uses ft-lbs of energy to determine 'hazardous fragments':

https://www.wbdg.org/FFC/DOD/DODMAN/605509-M-V1.pdf
"V1.E8.2.2.4. A hazardous fragment is one having an impact energy of 58 ft-lbs [79
joules] or greater. "

The last I knew, one is greater than "none".

You, and the others that believe "ft-lbs energy" tells you how a bullet will damage and destroy tissue, or that some arbitrary number is required to be effective, are ignorant. Ignorance isn't bad, unless it refuses to learn- then it's stupidity.

I've never said nor believed that '"ft-lbs energy" tells you how a bullet will damage and destroy tissue'. Your statement is both wrong and demonstrates an ignorance of the facts regarding what I believe. Do you care to learn or are you going to be 'stupid'?

What I have consistently stated in many threads is that energy is a poor tool for doing that and is best used carefully in a limited set of circumstances. As I stated in a previous post in this thread, give me the same bullet with 2000 ft-lbs energy and the same bullet with 200 ft-lbs and I'll take the one with 2000 for elk and the one with 200 for rabbits. [Edited to add] Under those circumstances, I don't think a change in bullet weight or construction or velocity would change my preference.[End add]

What I have also been very consistent saying is that without energy there is NO tissue destruction and that the destruction of vital function is what kills. What that means is that with NO energy there is NO more possibility of killing an animal with a bullet than if you keep the bullet in your pocket.

What ft-lbs energy DOES provide is a means of estimating POTENTIAL destruction in a relative rather than quantitative manner. In other words, other factors being equal, more energy has greater POTENTIAL for destruction than does less energy.

Let's try this- how, in your mind, does using "energy" help you know what to expect from a bullet in an animal? How do you use "energy"?

How about you reread the above, which explains my thoughts on the matter pretty well.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/24/17. Reason: Edit to add, as noted above

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.