Originally Posted by Starman
mass no direction, ok got it.

If I calculate [acceleration and mass] I am working out the 'Force' value.
(which results in Newtons and can be converted to ft/lb) 1 Newton = 0.737562149 ft/lb

with that, Does anyone then really need to apply an energy formula for hunting bullets?

If you would prefer a bullet with 2000 ft-lbs energy to one with 20 ft-lbs energy for hunting elk, you have answered your own question.

I don't recall anyone EVER stating that there is some value for energy that delineates the difference between a bullet being effective for a particular task and not being effective for that same task. Energy is just a tool that can be used to compare the maximum destructive potential of different bullets of indeterminate mass, velocity and construction, or the same bullet (which perforce has a particular mass and construction) at different velocities.

Energy is, at best, an imperfect tool but much better than using velocity alone (i.e. with no knowledge of bullet mass or construction).

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/05/17. Reason: missing word added

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.