smokepole -

Thank you for the answer.
When you specify a caliber and a B.C you are also specifying the things that go into them. Caliber for one. Bullet shape plays an important part, as does ... mass.

In your .260, for example, you specified a 123g Scenar, chosen for its accuracy and "decent B.C.". Given the caliber and shape, the B.C. is inextricably tied to bullet mass.

Now, why do you want a high B.C.? High B.C. values allow a bullet to retain velocity and shoot flatter. In doing so (retaining velocity) they also retain more energy.

So, to avoid the 60g-500g extremes, assume you have a choice between two .264 bullets, the 123g Scenar and an 85g bullet of the same design. (OK, I know 100 is the lighted made. Play along for a moment.) Assume accuracy was the same and velocity was 1800fps at impact. Which bullet would you prefer?

My guess is the 123g, which is the one I would choose as well. Not because I have to figure out the retained energy to make a decision (the Scenar isn't a bullet I would choose to use if given a choice, which is why I don't), but because experience tells me that, other factors being as equal as possible, a heavier bullet at velocity X has greater potential to cause damage and will likely do so. I suspect your thought processes really aren't all that much different.

If you ever get to Denver/Castle Rock, I'll be happy to buy you a beer and we can discuss it.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/14/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.