Originally Posted by Angus1895
I agree it don't predict exact harvest ability, but it certainly can get pretty close. Not on the positive side ( harvest success.....but on the negative. Harvest failure) especially at point blank raking shots.

. Also FPE can be measured. Therefore it can be discussed, and it can be suggested.

So show me please where my above suggestions would not work using a hunting style bullet.

On thin skinned smaller game there are lots of harvest instances where frangebile lighter bullets will do devastating damage and effective harvest.

There was a deer hunting forum post yesterday with excellent necropsy photos of a .223 at 300 yards WOW!

Terminal Ballistic Research touts frangebile light bullets for thin skinned game with proper shot selection.

But what's your point?

Energy equals mass time velocity squared. Divided in half.

What are the units used?

They are all in the same equation? Why?

It is like FPE is a measurement that considers both bullet mass I E ability to penetrate, And ability to mushroom, open up, work, or drive through tissue.....velocity. It does not consider shot placement, but where does a higher FPE measurement using a hunting style bullet make the round less effective? Unless it is using an extreme of one indice or the other exclusively to get the higher value.

So as long as the sectional density requirement is met, therefore keeping projectile mass within reason, and taking into account smaller calibers can penetrate using less mass, FPE will then be an easy way to compare potiential effectiveness between calibers. Not so much to predict success at the rehearsed range, but to prevent harvest failure due to cartridge performance at non conventional harvest events.

Just remember monolithics may need to be more velocity driven, so sectional density should drop with in reason. I think near 4000 fps things get funky....not to mention barrel damage. But just armchair reading research there, I have no practical experience at those speeds.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So there is little reason in my mind to not use a strong cartridge that is up to the task, even for point blank raking shots.

This is my point of view, and I love to hunt elk in the bugle season, so I think a lot about close range point blank harvest events.

Why is momentum not published in reloading data?

What are the units of measurement for momentum?

Just my thoughts?

How about frangibility?

Thanks

Just WOW!!!

Sorry, but your failure to understand very basic Physics precludes taking the time to go over everything you do not get.

There is no "divided in half" in Einstein's equation.

All of these requirements you imagine exist, don't.

E has nothing to do with ability to penetrate as examples exist in every direction of inverse correlations between E and penetration, proving it is not a critical variable in every case.

E is what you are trying to mean, FP is simply the metric.

"Strong cartridge" is a pretty strange description in a Physics argument...

Your grasp of monolithics is monumental in its tenuous underpinnings...

Actually, are you visiting in Oregon and smoking someones stash?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.