Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
You know that which is why you wouldn't use a 60g Partition at 1800fps but would choose a heavier bullet at that velocity instead. Mass matters. Velocity matters. Energy matters.

1) On the 60-grain bullet the reasons I wouldn't choose it are twofold. First, it would be a .223 bullet which is illegal for big game in my state. Which is also your state by the way. Second, it wouldn't make a big enough hole in my opinion. I realize that others may not share that opinion, but I don't believe it's my place to go on and on about how and why others choose the bullets they shoot. That's none of my business and just plain stupid.

2) On the 500 grain bullet, I wouldn't choose it because it results in more recoil than I want to deal with. Again, if someone else chooses to shoot one, more power to him, it's not my business to tell him how or why he chooses his bullet. Maybe he just likes the sound of "500 grain bullet." It's none of my concern.

3) Lastly, I don't shoot very many Nosler bullets so their data (the basis of your argument) are 100% irrelevant to my bullet choices.

You avoid answering the question by hiding behind specious arguments. But duck and dodge all you want – you and I and everyone else knows why you would choose a bullet heavier than 60g .22 -- because heavier bullets at 1800fps have the potential for greater destruction. And that potential is because they carry more energy.

1) You’ve hunted Alaska. Alaska has no minimum cartridge for elk – a 60g Partition would be legal there. As it would be in Idaho, Montana and possibly other places as well. Colorado could eliminate minimum restrictions but even then I doubt you would choose a .22 caliber 60g Partition at 1800fps for elk.

You say a 60g Partition “wouldn’t make a big enough hole”. Just how big a hole do you need? Hunters kill a lot of elk with hardcast bullets that expand very little – to less than the 60g Partition would be expected to expand – and impact at velocities under 1800fps. Yet they get the job done.

2) OK, you don’t like the recoil of a 500g bullet at 1800fps. Neither do I, but at 1500fps they aren’t bad. In any case, whether 1500fps or 1800fps, a 500g would be an easy choice over a .22 60g at 1800fps. So tell us – just what caliber and weight would you choose for elk if limited to 1800fps impact velocity?

3) You say you don't shoot “many” Nosler bullets so their data is irrelevant to you. Another duck and dodge but not a very good one.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/14/17. Reason: typo

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.