Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Admit it or not, you use both velocity and mass an in your calculations - not velocity alone. Which means you are using energy calculations.

LOL, good to see you're posting up formulas CH. But you're still as FOS as a Christmas turkey. What the hell are you talking about when you say "your calculations?"

Which calculations would those be? The ones I never made or posted? Not everyone needs "calculations" to go hunting.

You didn’t post any equations but when you choose a bullet for big game hunting you are clearly making the same mental calculations children make when throwing rocks – velocity isn’t the only thing that matters.

You say
“The .223 bullet doesn't make a big enough hole

How do you know that? I’ve seen .22 bullets create softball-sized exit holes at 400 yards where velocity should have been just over 1800fps (1832fps calculated). Just how big a hole do you need?

Either velocity is the only thing that matters, as you claim, or you have to take mass into consideration (your mental calculations), which is what you are doing. And in which case you are considering energy, not just velocity.

You also say
and the 500 is ridiculous. I'd use one somewhere in the middle that makes a big enough hole without the recoil of a 500 grain bullet.

Once again you are making the same kinds of calculations kids make when they decide to throw a mid-weight rock instead of a much heavier one.

And to answer your question from above, at 1800fps I’d definitely prefer a 500g Partition for elk over a 60g Partition at 1800fps. Same velocity, so if mass doesn’t matter they should be equally effective. But the lessons I learned as a kid suggest they will not be equally effective.

Otherwise, to quote you:
Velocity, Sherlock. If it depended on energy, there'd be a different velocity for each different weight of the same bullet.

You will notice that Nosler does NOT provide different velocities for the 60g and 500g Partitions because when Nosler talks about “Optimum Performance Velocity” Nosler is only talking about the velocities at which Partitions in general can be expected to expand, NOT how effective they will be for a particular game animal.

When Nosler makes recommendations as to the best use of their ammunition, their recommendation for the Partition for elk starts at a 140g from a .270 WBY. Apparently Nosler doesn’t feel that a 3,550fps 60g Partition is equal to a 180g Partition at a much more sedate 2,750fps. In other words, Nosler agrees – velocity is not the only thing that matters - mass matters as well.

I really don’t expect you to “get it” as you stated you don’t want to. Nothing like willful ignorance to mark a man as an idiot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.