Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Yes, kids throwing rocks. Or balls or whatever. They don’t think of it in terms of formal mathematical equations they have not yet learned, but they do learn to factor in mass as well as velocity and other factors. And if they are trying to hit something, they make mental calculations every time.

No they don't. Just like with everything else you pontificate on, you're taking one of the most basic phenomena in the human experience and over-complicating it, trying to explain it via "calculations."

It's just more mental masturbation.

Kids throwing rocks and adults throwing baseballs and footballs don't make "calculations" or even stop to think about it. If infielders had to think about it, there'd be no such thing as a double play.They just throw the damn things. In archery it's called instinctive shooting. "Instinctive" means no calculations, and not even any thought given to it. Just a reaction based on repeated practice and muscle memory. It really is that simple no matter how you try and complicate it. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with kinetic energy.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

When you choose not to use a 60g Partition at 1800fps but go with a heavier bullet at the same velocity instead, you are once again making the same kind of calculations.

No, I'm not. I'm basing my decision on my own personal experience and the experience of others who've killed more elk than me. I know that blows your little mind, but try to follow along. If I was basing my choice on some sort of calculated energy figure I'd be shooting a magnum. I'm not.

I spent a lot of money on a guided Alaskan hunt for Dall Sheep. If I was ever going to base a bullet choice on "calculations" or some sort of energy figure, that would have been the hunt to do it on. But I didn't. I developed a very accurate load using a relatively light bullet in a mild chambering. What was more important was the rifle itself, its weight and accuracy and my ability to place a bullet with it. "Energy" never figured into the decision. And then I asked a guy who'd guided for sheep if he thought the bullet was suitable (he also posted on this thread) . He said it was and that was all I needed.

But if you want to use formulae and calculations to choose your bullet, knock yourself out. Just realize that not everyone thinks like you do. Thank goodness.

A wise man is frequently humbled.