Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Which bullet? A 60g Partition or a 500g Partition at 1800fps? Nosler claims the same "Optimum Performance Velocity" for both (1800fps to unlimited fps).

Neither. The .223 bullet doesn't make a big enough hole and the 500 is ridiculous. I'd use one somewhere in the middle that makes a big enough hole without the recoil of a 500 grain bullet.

Which do you prefer? Let me guess, the 500.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Either mass does not matter, as you claim --- or it does, as you also claim.

I've made no claims about mass one way or the other, dimwit.

Of course you have. The moment you throw mass into the calculation you are no longer talking about velocity alone but energy.

You are correct that at 1800fps for both I would prefer the 500g Partition over the 60g Partition - but why would you assume that if mass (and therefore energy) does not matter? If mass did not matter you would have no basis for making that assumption.

Nosler's "Optimum Performance Velocity" is 1800fps minimum for all Partitions, regardless of weight. All that tells you is that Nosler expects the Partitions to upset at that velocity - it tells you nothing about how effective Nosler expects Partitions with different masses to be against a particular target. If you call Nosler, I really doubt they would recommend the 60g Partition for elk.

You reject both the 60g and 500g Partition and say you would use "one somewhere in the middle". Something in the middle of .... what? 1800fps and 1800fps? No, 60g and 500g. In other words, you would choose a bullet with a different mass.

And why are you objecting to the recoil of a 500g Partition at 1800fps but not that of the 60g Partition at the same velocity? If velocity alone was the problem you would be objecting to the recoil of the 60g Partition as well.

Admit it or not, you use both velocity and mass an in your calculations - not velocity alone. Which means you are using energy calculations.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 09/04/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.