Yes, kids throwing rocks. Or balls or whatever. They don’t think of it in terms of formal mathematical equations they have not yet learned, but they do learn to factor in mass as well as velocity and other factors. And if they are trying to hit something, they make mental calculations every time. If they didn’t they would throw Nerf balls the same as they do real balls of the same size and shape.

Just as adults choose when to hit the brakes on their vehicles. If velocity was all that mattered, you could drive a heavily loaded big rig like you would a BMW M series coupe. But even if you’ve done neither I’m guessing you wouldn’t try because you know the big rig would take longer to stop. You may make that calculation without thinking in terms of E=1/2*m*v*v but, just the same, you are making mental calculations that involve energy, not just velocity. Either that or you shouldn’t be driving – and wouldn’t be for long because you would soon be dead.

When you choose not to use a 60g Partition at 1800fps but go with a heavier bullet at the same velocity instead, you are once again making the same kind of calculations. If velocity was all that mattered the 60g would be just as effective and get the job done with less recoil.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.