Originally Posted by Angus1895
With cup and core bullets I suggest twice the Foot Pounds Energy as the animal weighs. I. E. 750 pounds needs 1500 pounds at impact.

My suggestions are not for " long range" shots. ( over 500 yards) I have no experience.

Sectional density should be .25 for elk. As in 165 grain 30 caliber.

What I still do not understand is if FPE is so inaccurate to refer to why is I it so published and calculated in reloading manuals?
Further more why is it so bad to share and recommend such easily documented indices of a kinetic energy based projectile?

Is some one trying to re invent the wheel? Is this based on kidney stone removal data?

Why would I make this recommendation? In case one encounters a point blank shot, or a raking shot.

If one is disciplined to wait for the perfect harvest scenario by all means shoot just exactly what you rehearse.

But also please don't tread on me because I may suggest " overkill".

The monolithic bullet will behave differently, Terminal Ballistic Research web sight or some excellent studies posted here will also help you make informed decisions.

From what I have gathered you need roughly 2000 fps at impact with a monolithic to get it to expand. A study posted here showed a 130 grain 30 caliber will penetrate very well even at point blank on bovine femur ( stifle) joint.

Hope this helps.

Gather wood where you may ,we all feed the same fire.

And if you get it dry enough even bullshit burns! wink

Reread what Formidulosis wrote... FPE does not measure anything of value in determining whether the bullet will kill effectively.

Consider E=MC2 (cannot figure out symbols on this tablet)
Velocity is squared and weighs in far heavier on Energy than Mass... yet a rather sedate heavy bullet will usually go very deep...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.