Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Velocity is not the only thing that matters.

Nice try Einstein. I never said it was. The size of the hole the bullet makes is what matters.

Calculate on that a while.

Originally Posted by smokinrope

Velocity, Sherlock. If it depended on energy, there'd be a different velocity for each different weight of the same bullet.

Manufactures DO have "different velocity" for different weights of the same bullet type. That is why Nosler does not recommend a 60g Partition for elk at velocity 'X' but does recommend heavier Partitions at velocity 'X' - and slower - for the same purpose, even though Nosler has only one specification for "Optimum Performance Range" for Partitions as a class of bullet - 1800fps to unlimited fps..

A bullet's maximum capability to destroy stuff (i.e. make holes) is very much tied to the energy it carries, not just its velocity. Bullet construction (cup-and-core, bonded, partitioned, mono's and various combinations thereof) is much less important than energy, which is why Nosler doesn't recommend a 60g Partition at any velocity for elk but does recommend a variety of heavier bullets of various construction types at much lower velocities for elk. Other manufacturers do the same with their bullets. They "get it".

You know that which is why you wouldn't use a 60g Partition at 1800fps but would choose a heavier bullet at that velocity instead. Mass matters. Velocity matters. Energy matters.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.