Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The point is that, all other factors being equal, a projectile with significantly more KE at impact can be expected to do more damage than the same projectile with significantly less KE.

The concept isn't hard to grasp - most 5 year old kids have a sense of it. Apparently some adults have a really tough time with it, though.

Sooo... how big of a hole does it make?

I mean, I just want to know what the wound channel will be in a target. So, being that one has more or less energy, how big will the wound be?

Your question demonstrates a refusal to learn so by your own words you are being "stupid" by choice. Congratulations?

How big a wound channel will VELOCITY make? Kind of depends on a lot of other factors, doesn't it? Like mass and construction of the projectile, and the types and amount of target material encountered?

We know that with very low mass even light-speed velocity is not enough to cause any damage. Of course, the moment you consider a projectile's mass, when you talk about its velocity in relation to its ability to do damage, you are really talking about its energy. If you think otherwise you must have flunked grade school math, where kids learn anything times zero equals zero, and basic physics where they learn that E=1/2*m*v*v. Like it or not, we live in a world where Newtonian physics hold sway.

Velocity alone does not determine how much damage a projectile can do. A projectile's energy defines how much damage (work) is ***possible***, not how much will be done nor what the damage will look like.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.