Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Again you duck and dodge. A bullet that shoots flatter because of its B.C. also has less wind drift. But that difference only comes into play at longer ranges - B.C. is pretty irrelevant at close range. As I showed above, B.C is directly tied to a bullet's mass. Velocity is important to you else you could reduce recoil by shooting all your bullets at 100fps. They wouldn't be very effective, but they would have very low recoil.

Damn you're dense. I gave you a straight-up honest answer to your question on how I choose my bullets. You just can't understand it because you don't have the ability to understand anything but your own narrow perspective. For the third time, high velocity and flat trajectory are not very important to me which is the reason I like cases based on the .308 cartridge. If velocity was important to me, I wouldn't use those cartridges.

If velocity was not important to you, you would have no objections to shooting bullets at 100fps.

The fact is that velocity DOES matter to you as there are velocities that are too low for you to consider useful - by your own admission.

Tomorrow my wife and I are going fishing for a few days. When I fling a bait toward the weed line I won't know or care what energy value I need to impart to the bait to get it to just the right spot. But I will be calculating how to give it just the right fling to get it exactly where I want it. In other words, I'll be calculating and doing my best to give it just the right amount of velocity and direction and (because it has mass) energy it needs to get there, even though my brain won't be using a B.C. or ft-lbs or even fps in the calculations - none of which I will know.

When you talk about specific velocity and B.C. and caliber you are also defining a specific amount of energy. You may not and apparently don't think about it in terms of ft-lbs any more than I will for the baits. I get that. But you are, as I will be, defining an environment with a very specific energy or range. Define a minimum acceptable velocity for a specific bullet and you also define the minimum acceptable energy, just from another perspective.

If 100fps is too low (and I agree) for your 123g Scenar then, then 3 ft-lbs is also too low. If 500fps is too low, so is 68 ft-lbs. If 1000fps is too low, so is 273 ft-lbs. If 2000fps is the minimum velocity at which you think the Scenar would perform as desired, you just defined 1093fpe as the minimum acceptable energy level for your purposes. And so on. Pick a minimum velocity (and you've already rejected 100fps) and you also pick a minimum energy.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.