Originally Posted by bellydeep

Up until the last three paragraphs, that post was about the most coherent thing you've ever said. Although it still doesn't make total sense.

How much energy do you need to stop a charging antelope?

Well, thank you. It makes total sense if you have a good understanding of physics. Destruction of tissue and bone requires work (force applied over a distance), which requires energy, which requires both mass and velocity. Energy=1/2*m*(v*v). Velocity alone does nothing. Nor does mass without velocity.

As to the antelope, I'll take 1000 ft-lbs over 2000 fps if I know nothing else about the projectile. Light-speed isn't enough if the mass is too low.
2000fps is only 356fpe with a 40g bullet. 1000 ft-lbs means 4745fps with that same bullet.

With a 95g SST .243" bullet, 1000 ft-lbs means 2177fps, which corresponds to 315 yards if launched at a rather sedate 2925fps, which is what I used last year. 2000fps corresponds to about 849fpe with that bullet. In this particular case it shouldn't make a lot of difference if you go with 2000fps or 1000 ft-lbs - both should be adequate.

Daughter #1 and me with last year's doe, whose ownership was previously contested by the buck. Range was about 200 yards so something around 1250fpe and 2435fps were both more than enough. Pretty sure that would have stopped the buck as well.
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.