Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

What I have stated is that with all other factors being equal, a bullet of a given construction and mass and significantly higher energy is capable of and can be expected to produce greater damage than the same bullet with significantly less energy.

Which is incorrect as I already pointed out. I can think of two examples off the top of my head, there are probably more:

1) An FMJ non-expanding bullet. Once it has sufficient velocity/energy to fully penetrate the medium you're shooting it through, adding more velocity/energy won't necessarily produce any more damage than the slower bullet.

2) A lightweight highly frangible bullet. If you shoot one at the optimum velocity/energy for optimum upset and maximum damage, and then increase the velocity/energy you will not necessarily get greater damage. Especially if the shot is into something tough like an animal's shoulder, the bullet with higher velocity/energy may just fragment and fail to penetrate with less damage.

And come to think of it, #2 is not just true for lightweight frangible bullets. Lots of cup and core bullets won't work optimally if they're driven too fast. And the same can be said for some of the soft lead conical bullets used in muzzleloaders.

So, using your methodology, I can throw a 460g bullet through a target, where it will probably make a non-circular hole, then pick that same bullet up, shoot it through the same target with my .45-70, where it will make a smaller, circular hole - thus proving the hand-thrown bullet has more destructive capability? No.

The rifle launched bullet clearly has more destructive capability but the target chosen is inadequate to demonstrate the difference. Take that non-expanding FMJ and launch it significantly faster and it will definitely do more damage to a target capable of demonstrating its full destructive power. Same with the frangible bullet.

There is a reason that kinetic energy weapons like the Navy's rail guns are not called "velocity weapons", even though they can launch their projectiles at Mach 7. The reason is that KE, not mass or velocity alone, determines their destructive capability.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.