Originally Posted by Angus1895
I don't have my reloading books. But just guessing it would be the difference between 257 Roberts and a 308. And a 30 30 and a 308.i will post data in a couple of days. I will get some .243 Andy .65 and 7. Mm and maybe some .35, 9.3 and 8 mm data also.

You have the right idea, just not extreme enough.

The 2052fps and 2511 ft-lb numbers are, respectfully, for 125 yards with a .223 40g BT launched at 3000fps (22 K Hornet) compared to my "Rhino Blaster" .45-70 460g WFNGC loads, which launch at 1812fps.

For elk, I'll take the .45-70 all day, every day. And have. At 213 yards the 350g North Fork FN I used on a 6x6 bull retained about 1545fps and 1868fpe. The bullet obliterated a sections of a near leg bone and rib and shattered a far side rib before coming to rest under the hide. Velocity played a part, as did mass, as did bullet construction, as did the types and amounts of flesh/bone encountered. The bull did not drop at the shot but instead just stood there, immobile. As I was ready to fire a second round it just toppled over. Velocity wasn't very high but that 1868fpe did a lot of work destroying tissue and bone.

Light-speed particles hit and pass through our bodies mostly unnoticed. If velocity was all that mattered, mankind would not exist. Even if we were resurrected like Kenny, those particles would kill us billions of times each second. Velocity and mass BOTH matter. You're not going to kill anything with a bullet you keep in your pocket, no matter what its mass is.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.