Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
You are comparing two bullets with distinctly different construction and each engineered to perform very differently.

Dang it's true what they say, nothing gets by you.

As I've said before, using KE to compare bullets of vastly different construction is something of a fool's game.

Yes, you've said many things before, and taken untold pages to do it. I can't say I'm sorry I missed that. But you're wrong to say that here. It's not a fool's game if you're trying to show that two bullets with identical KE can have much different capacities to wound and kill. In fact, it's probably the best way to show that. Which in turn would indicate that KE is not the best yardstick for determining the capacity to wound and kill.

In this case, both bullets have the same maximum possible capability for destruction, based on identical KE, but their efficiency in transferring that KE to a flesh and bone target is very, very different.

I often see people writing about "transfer"of kinetic energy but no one seems to want to quantify it. Which seems odd for such an easy-to-quantify commodity. How much energy must be "transferred" for the bullet to be effective? And it's funny how "energy transfer" seems to vary in direct proportion to a bullet's deformation and the size of the wound channel, both of which can be quantified.

Anyway, I'm sure you could calculate an "exit velocity" for the FMJ as it passes through and exits that would result in a calculated KE "deposited" in the animal or test medium that would be identical to the KE "deposited" by the frangible bullet that doesn't exit. And it still wouldn't change the conclusion.

A wise man is frequently humbled.