Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by smokepole
LOL, you're incapable of admitting your're wrong. That's all you've shown here.

Congratulations!!

And BTW, check your statement about particles with mass traveling through air at the speed of light, Einstein.

And PS, are you saying it's impossible to drive a bullet too fast, and that a bullet's destructive capacity keeps increasing with increased velocity, without limit?

Why ‘admit’ I’m wrong when I’m correct?

My comments about particles through air are also correct. The speed of light travelling through earth’s atmosphere is less than the theoretical maximum in a perfect vacuum, which, by the way, does not exist in the known universe. In addition, light speed through the atmosphere is not a constant – it varies depending on the density of the atmosphere at different points. It is still correct to say that the particles are travelling through the atmosphere at the speed of light. We also talk about the speed of sound in air, but that is also not constant as it also depends on the density of the air.

And yes, the destructive capability (ability to do work) increases with a projectile’s energy, which increases with its velocity. Whether a particular target is capable of demonstrating that increase depends on the target. In the case of the hand-thrown vs. rifle launched bullet in my previous post, the paper target would be incapable of demonstrating that increase but the rifle launched bullet would demonstrate that capability downrange somewhere.

Taking variables to the extreme is a perfectly valid way of proving a truth, which is what I’ve been doing. Accelerate your frangible bullet to light-speed and its energy and ability to cause destruction are like a sandy beach compared to a single grain of sand when launched at rifle speeds. At more sedate speeds the continuum still holds true.

Every projectile of a given mass has a specific amount of KE depending on its velocity. The energy curve for a 40g projectile at various speeds looks like this:

fps ==> ft-lbs
1,000 ==> 89
2,000 ==> 355
3,000 ==> 799
4,000 ==> 1,421
5,000 ==> 2,221
5,572 ==> 7,555 (This is 5400mph which is about Mach 7 or rail gun speed)
10,000 ==> 8,883
100,000 ==> 888,332
2,732,093 ==> 899,016,663 (Speed of light in air)

Whether you choose a target that can demonstrate the differential is up to you. Failure to do so does not mean the differential does not exist. Denying that the differential exists is more than silly, it denies the well-established laws of physics. Do you believe the earth is flat, too?

You better check your math.....how do you get an increase of 5,334 ft lbs of energy with only a 572 fps increase in velocity?(5,000=2,221 vs 5,572=7,555)

Thanks for catching that. Copy/paste error.

The correct number is 2,758 ft-lbs.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.