Originally Posted by abbydog
I’m amazed at people and the reasons why they won’t get vaccinated. They probably got it for measles, polio, and all the other diseases that nearly wiped from the face of the earth. My brother in Texas excuse it only took 9 months to develop and doesn’t trust it. Biotech companies have been working on various virus vaccines for 20 years. Great minds and modern technology.
And all the crap on the internet about the vaccine magnetizing people.
It’s not about being a conservative, a Christian, or building one’s immune system as a personal trainer told me.
I had two words for my brother - Good Luck!

Great minds and modern technology don't replace time in the vaccine development process. We don't know what the long-term side effects might be of an mRNA vaccine because nobody (or at least not any significant number of people) received an mRNA vaccine before about a year ago. When a new vaccine is developed, the first people in the trials typically receive the vaccine SEVERAL years before FDA approval and the release of the vaccine to the general public. The mechanism of the J&J vaccine has a little more history than the mRNA mechanism, but still not the same level of history as the Novavax vaccine mechanism, which is well understood AND has a LONG history of use in probably hundreds of millions if not billions of people across many years. It has been utterly irresponsible of the federal government not to do everything possible to get the Novavax vaccine through the testing and production process and out for distribution. The availability of the Novavax vaccine would do a tremendous amount to overcome hesitancy about COVID vaccines among millions of people.

Anybody who takes an mRNA vaccine right now is basically in a big trial/study, and people have to be allowed to assess their own risks to determine whether the small likelihood of potential and known risks from a vaccine affecting them in any significant way outweighs the risks of death or serious permanent impairment from COVID-19.