When I was working, I worked out with a group of Government Smokejumpers, who were required to maintain a very high fitness level , and who ran lots of miles every week. I also ran but not as far. As we all got older the frequency of knee surgerys, and hip injuries increased. As I wanted to avoid those kinds of injuries, I quit jogging on the late 90"s and started hiking, not as much distance but instead of running on the level I focused hiking on hills. I still do too much pavement but I feel it was the right decision. I am in Arizona for the winter, so I do not have many weather days, but lack the elevation that I get when I return back north. A typical week here is 20+ miles walking with an average 200 feet elevation each day. Up north I do slightly less miles, but average 700 feet elevation daily. A month or so before my first season I start carrying a pack with weight in it. I did 1204 miles last year and am 76 yrs old. Last thought , you must wear the best footwear that you can afford