Despite appearances, there are no undirected lives. When a man chooses to direct his own life, he is operating under an illusion. His thinking will be shaped by others, either in words or deeds. He was made a "searcher" and that compulsion to search will never leave him until he finds what he is searching for.

That search is actually a search for spiritual rest. Many opt for the counterfeit version of that spiritual rest in alcohol, drugs, sex, work, or gambling. Excessive religiosity is one sure sign of a man still searching.

Adopting the Bible as the source for spiritual rest has its own hazards. A man's ego becomes involved in such subtle ways that he winds up directing his own life, with his thinking shaped by others.

Only a full and complete surrender to the will of the Creator of the Universe will put a man in harmony with that Universe and he will then be at rest.

But........... what about Satan?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't need any help in earning a front row seat in whatever Hell there may be. grin

FWIW.... I directed my own life for 43 years and wound up a Drunk on the scrap heap of humanity. I surrendered [Hell.... I could have surrendered to a monkey and bettered myself at that time] to the God that made me thirty years ago and life is good.

I found that spiritual rest.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place