Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by antlers
Jesus said “I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear, until its purpose is achieved.” The last part of His comment is very significant.

The purpose of the Law was to make known our sin and to highlight our need for a Savior. Jesus accomplished (achieved) everything that the Law required.

This is very clear to me. If other’s have a difference of opinion on this matter, that’s more than OK with me. One’s salvation doesn’t depend on one’s interpretation of this verse.
Weak rationalization.
Nope. Matthew posits a chief purpose of Jesus’ earthly ministry was to fulfill the Law and the Prophets, to accomplish all that it foretold, to complete all of the righteousness that it required.

https://digitalcommons.pepperdine.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2526&context=plr

You are entirely correct. See Colossians 2:13-14….

“When you were dead in your sins …(sinful breakers of the “law” of God)….God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins…(note that these sins were the result of falling short and breaking the “law.) ……having CANCELLED the CHARGE of our legal indebtedness….(the charge against is breaking the law….and we are guilty of it…. ). Which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away….(he takes away the CHARGE…..)…. nailing it to the cross.

The CHARGE against us is taken away…. nailed to the cross…..the sin debt which results from our sins against God…. The CHARGE against “me” is paid by Jesus….. the final and perfect sacrificial lamb of God. In simple but incomplete terms, the OT and the system established of temporary animal blood sacrifices was a “set up” for the final and perfect sacrifice.

In my opinion, the Law still stands but the charges that might be brought against us are….. gone…. Nailed to the cross.

Forgiven …. Christ’ purpose fulfilled.

Charges against us obliterated by the blood.

The Law, however, still is there….that is what those who reject the gift will be judged with.

A thought is that “The Law” will stand until the last soul has been judged at the Great White Throne Judgment. Idk….maybe after that there will be no need for the Law……purpose fulfilled then?

Last edited by TF49; 01/15/22.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”