Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by comerade
Originally Posted by Switch
It's really fun being a rifle looney and playing the numbers game, however please hold your hand up if you can truthfully can deliver a KILLING shot on a game animal smaller than an Elephant at 900 yards on a breeze day across a canyon. If you raised your hand you are lucky and 1 in a 1000, IMHO. Inside 400 yards the 270 has the edge, if only slightly. I own a 6.5 Creedmoor and am not really in love with it. It worked fine on the one deer I killed with it, just not that impressed. Example of one, I know. True the 270 used 14 grains more powder, but if I can't afford that I can't afford the gas to get to the range. In a blind test I doubt I could tell the difference in recoil in the field, off the bench the 6.5 has a slight edge. As a young guy I gut shot a fine Mule Deer at about 400 Yards and lost him to die a miserable death. NEVER AGAIN. I'll take the .270 with a good bullet and get closer, thanks. I have fun shooting at far away rocks on the distant canyon, but not on game, it's not fair chase.

Just my two cents worth on this fine Sunday morning.

Good morning, I am an old guy and agree with you.
In these steep timbered mountains , if you shoot you had better recover it or put 150% into it trying.
Often shooting across a draw is in the 200 yard range, it might be 200 hundred yards but could take an hour to get to it. Elk hunting is done just after daylight or at just before dusk.
I use a .270 WCF and have used or clients Experienced a whole range of chamberings and 400 yards approx the absolute limit. A 270/ 280 or 30/06 fills the Bill, imo
I hunted with a fella that used a .264 win and it performed well but no better than the aforementioned and the barrel was a little to long
A good good, tenacious bullet is the key not a sleek high B.C. bullet.

Now here's someone that knows his stuff!!!!!

True dat

Last edited by Borchardt; 04/28/19.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.