i don't like Boddington's (and his ilk,) writing. it seemed to me a manufacturers' commercial so i quit (late '90s) reading them. that is just my opinion. i read Petersons Hunting, Shooting Times, Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and a couple i can't remember.

Mule Deer aka John Barness did a nice piece on A Hunter's Story. Ted Trueblood, Ed Zern, Gary Sitton, John Wooters, Kieth McCafferty, Gene Hill and others were great storytellers, not a Manufactures' Dream like they are printing now.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2010/09/hunters-story/

anyway, i shot many deer with the '06 and the 270 and i couldn't tell the difference. on Nosler's Ballistic Tip or Hornady's SST, the impact speed is like a bullet "mushroom" or expand at 2800+/-fps, but they fragment at 2900+fps. in my case, the deer are close up to the muzzle (from feet to about 60 yards), so my impact speed is around 2800+/-fps, so i handload accordingly. i don't like bloodshot meat, so a fragmented bullet is not necessary. i like a bullet to expand and exit an animal. for the past 11 or 12 years, that is why i use cast bullets.

i have one Arisaka Type 99 in '06 and one Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester. i have had '06 and 270's in Remington, Savage, Mossberg, TC Venture and others. every rifle, expect one, grouped 1" or less at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). the one rifle that didn't group was a new Remington Mountain rifle in '06. the best group i got was around 1 3/4 - 2 1/4" group at 100 yards with factory ammo 180gr Remington RN. i did everything i could do to the rifle. different scopes, different scope mounts, JB paste, different stock.......along with different bullets, powder, primers and brass. i could not group better than the factory ammo. i gave the '06 to my gunsmith (RIP) for a couple of months, he 'glass it, did a new crown and other stuff and he did 1 1/2" group at 1(5 shots/bench) with 180gr Reminton RN ammo. he tried a couple of different powders and he got a 3 - 3 1/2" group at 100 yards. the other powders would do a 4" and up group. the Remmie got sold the next day. i think it was a Savage m116 SS with adjustable muzzle brake in '06.

if it had to one, it would be the 270 Winchester. i would load up some 140gr Hornady SST and IMR4350 at around 2800fps and go deer/black bear hunting.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".