A buddy of mine that lives down the road from me recently asked if I could help him with an older .270 that his dad gave to him. The rifle had never shot well and he wanted it to be more accurate, plus he wanted a new laminated stock to bring some life back into it. The rifle turned out to be a well-worn 700BDL with a 7lb trigger, a barrel full of copper, and a front sling swivel stud that had all but gouged a hole in the underside of the barrel.

After I scrubbed everything out, swapped in a new 2.5lb trigger, and bedded/floated the action in a new laminate CDL handle from Stockys, he was very happy with how things looked. He picked out a new scope with a BDC reticle that lined up fairly well with typical 130gr .270Win ammo. We were zeroed at 200yds with three shots and I had him sit down and shoot the 200yd hog silhouette, as well as the 300 & 400 yard gongs. He easily made kill shots on everything, mentioning that most of his experience had been inside 200yds. I'd almost forgotten how comfortable a heavier .270Win sporter is to shoot, as it was really pleasant. I told him that while almost no advertisements/articles/or press seems to be pushing the .270Win very much these days, it is still my pick for "King of the Deer Cartridges" for the one-rifle hunter that shoots factory ammo. It's not flashy, but it's damn good at killing deer-sized stuff as far as most hunters have any business shooting.

Now with even more aplomb