Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gnoahhh,

The "wondrous charms" of the 6.5 Creedmoor are not limited to long-range shooting. It's just as good for short-to-medium range hunting as any cartridge with similar ballistics, whether the other "mild" 6.5's like the 6.5x55 and .260, or the 7mm-08 and .270.

I killed a mule deer back last fall with the 6.5 Creedmoor and factory Hornady ammunition loaded with the 143-grain ELD-X bullet at the vast range of 101 yards (laser- ranged after the fact). The buck was standing broadside in Gambel oak brush which blocked most of his body except his shoulder, so that's where I put the bullet. The buck collapsed instantly, dead right there. The bullet broke both shoulders and was found under the skin of the far shoulder, retaining 60% of its weight. The buck yielded exactly 100 pounds of boned meat, and while I have killed bigger-bodied mule deer, he may have been in the top 10. Yet despite the shot placement, the moderate muzzle velocity of the load (advertised at 2700 fps, which it actually approaches in my rifle) resulted in little meat loss.

Yet the same load was also very effective on an even bigger-bodied buck my companion killed with a rib shot at 311 yards. That buck kicked up his hind hooves at impact, then staggered maybe 25-30 yards before collapsing.

The rifles we used, both factory models costing around $500, shot groups well under an inch at 100 yards with the factory ammo, and in fact mine shot a 4-shot group at 300 yards of 1-1/2 inches, strung out horizontally due to a perhaps 5 mph breeze. That ammo costs around $25 a box at most stores.

All of those factors--superbly accurate yet affordable factory rifles and ammo, and very effective "killing power," whether up close or further out, are among the reasons the 6.5 Creedmoor has become so popular. Another is moderate recoil, around 14 foot-pounds for the above load in an 8-pound rifle.

Part of its popularity here in Montana is indeed due to some hunters waiting to shoot "long range," but more of its popularity comes from the fact that it recoils more like a .243, yet works not only on big mule deer at normal ranges, but whitetails along the riverbottoms at close range, and elk as well. This is why quite a few guys buy one for their wife or kids--and then discover the rifle shoots so well, and is so effective despite kicking a LOT less than their .300 magnum that they buy a 6.5 Creedmoor for themselves.

Well done MD. Even if a guy doesn't own, desire to own, or even hates the Creed for whatever reason......you'd think people would catch on to the FACT that the 6.5CM is for real.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.