Originally Posted by Lou_270
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Lou_270
Me and son did few free range exotic hunts few years back. These guys do high / low fence hunts and hunt nearly 365 days a year. See tons of animals killed of all sizes. Far more than any other outfitters in US I would wager. They hated 6.5 creedmoor. Said lose far more animals hit with it than other rounds, even the 243 which they liked. On way back from hunt we ran into another outfitter at gas station and he asked what I was using and said good not that stupid creedmoor. So, as Boddington stated there is disdain out there. My party had several 6.5 CM shooting 139 scenars in it on one hunt and performed great. Being a gun guy I kept picking at it since did not make sense to me and best we could come up with is maybe related to bullets guys are using on average wirh Creedmoor since happy with 243/my parties results with 6.5.

Lou

I suspect the reasoning behind the guide/outfitter's disdain for the 6.5 Creedmoor is directly tied to the owners of them having entirely too much faith in what they've read vs. what they've done.

Could be. The outfitters/guides themselves were not gun guys but hate having the “you draw blood you pay” conversation. That is all they really cared about vs having some strong caliber bias as far as I could tell. They asked me what I thought as knew I was gun guy and basically said only thing I can think of is bad bullets (or at least wrong for the type of shots/game). assuming the average 6.5 cm shootet was not worse than the average everything else shooter. I said make sure the ammo clients are using are intended for hunting and maybe at least had a deer or some other game animal picture on the box.

Lou

I have 2 good friends who've never met nor spoken. Both have identical (except for color) NULA 270Win rifles topped with NF NXS 2.5-10x42 IHR reticle scopes. 1 uses 140 Accubonds w/H4831, the other 150gn Partitions w/R-26. Both went Dall Sheep/Caribou hunting in '21. One in AK, the other in NWT Canada. Both got some "looks" from other hunters in camp and guides for "only" having 10x as their top power setting on their scope, 270Win vs. something "PRC/Creedmoor/etc", and no VLD-esque projectiles. Most of the rest of the camp had setups much more along the "tactical" lines, Hubbles mounted atop, pole-vault carbon-fiber wrapped barrels, some with rather large suppressors attached etc etc etc. Both filled their sheep tag with no "drama" regarding rifle/projectile performance nor bullet placement. Of course as they started filling tags (multiple animal hunts), others wanted a closer look at their "old-school" rifle setups. "This damn thing is a toy" was the most often heard response to others picking up the NULA. In the end as it almost always is, the guys who show up with stuff that's well practiced and employable by instinct typically end up with things working as they should upon being offered an opportunity by Mother Nature.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.