Originally Posted by flintlocke
JB, My information was wrong, (thanks African Hunting .com) I just looked at the Bronnoysund Registry....the last phrase in every sentence regarding requirements for hunters..."or documentation of experience from the hunter's home country.", which I assume to be a license from your home state, meaning no test? Reading the Registry rules I get the impression, it is primarily for the first time hunter.

Bergara has an article by Martin Bie-Erichson on Norway hunting requirements...he mentions nothing of cartridge rules either. In any case, I won't be going back to the old country...but if I did, I'd take enough gun to meet the published rules, just in case somebody was enforcing them.

..."or documentation of experience from the hunter's home country."

While 1996 was a while ago, that jogged a memory-center in my brain. I went to Norway with my late friend and fellow writer Tom McIntyre, who often contacted the travel/tourism departments of various countries to ask if they'd be interested in having American gun writers come over to hunt and publish articles on their experiences. One year he decided we should go to Norway, and when he contacted the Norwegian tourism department they paid our way, and arranged an itinerary....

It was very interesting to discover how easy it was to get into the country with our rifles. We landed in Oslo, and the two custom officers who greeted us were a pair of guys who looked to be around 30. (Tom and I were in our mid-40s.) We showed them our American hunting licenses, along with the U.S. Customs forms for our rifles--which can serve as "registration" for entering other countries, but are also meant to prove we had the firearms when we left home, and weren't trying to smuggle in "foreign" firearms.

After showing them our papers they sent is on our way. They didn't even ask us to open our gun cases--just wished us good luck hunting!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck