I'll play, after all, it is an internet discussion here! I have never owned a .270 Winny and only fired one a few times. Like many, I grew up reading Jack and Elmer and their views on it. But, since I have been in Alaska the last 54 years and only hunted here I only used a 30-06 and a .338 Winny. But, several hunters I know have used the .270 Winny and still do on every thing here in Alaska with good success. If I lived in the "lower 48" I would of hunted more with smaller cases and calibers.

Most of the .270 users I was acquainted with favored the 150 grain Nosler Partition. I think a good 140 grain Accubond or X bullet would be a good choice for a .270. Any one with a good understanding of bullet performance and impact velocities and big critters knows there are better calibers/cartridges if one might be dealing with big bears on a regular basis or poking at a veggie muncher in the next zip code. But seriously, most don't and won't be doing that.

Most of us know we live in the age of the "super bullets" and that has allowed us to do more with less and also made old reliable calibers even better. I believe the grand old "ought six" case is a dandy and when necked down to 6.5 or up to .35 caliber and any thig in between has the potential to be and "all around" North American hunting round. Stuffed with a suitable for the task bullet and put in the right spot at reasonable distances makes for a happy hunter and a gut pile.

I think lots of negative information on calibers/cartridges can be traced back to poor bullet performance combined with inadequate impact velocities and poor shot selection and placement. The road always leads back to the shooter.