The .270 came along when there wasn't much choice in hunting cartridges. O'Connor championed it because he hunted extensively with it and got good results. It generated lots of excitement then and it still does. It's a great cartridge. It is also a long action cartridge that still suffers from bullet choice but that doesn't matter too much to the game it kills.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great short action cartridge that does everything it's designed for and then some. It has a lot of choices in bullets and is every bit as controversial as the .270 was in 1930 and still is to this day. You can get a lot of different rifles chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor that are accurate from the factory and find ammo for it just about anywhere. It doesn't mean that it's the only hunting round that will kill game.

I read the article and it's pretty good actually. I don't envy the gun writers having to come up with a decent article that will please their readers on a regular basis. Any article is guaranteed to piss someone off. The big bore boys are still alive and well and the aficionados of each cartridge are going to fight to the death for their baby. I take it for what it is, a decent article on a fine hunting cartridge.