I grew up reading JOC and Outdoor Life, and came to believe that the 270 was pretty much all anyone needed for hunting in my part of the country. So, I bought a Remington 700 Classic 270 the first year they came out. I killed somewhere around 50-60 deer with it before I started using other rifles. Most were taken with a handload of 60 grains H4831 and a 130 Sierra soft point. I never lost or had to track a deer I shot with that rifle and that load. Even though I've not used that rifle in years, I still consider the 270 and a 130 grain soft point bullet to be the best combo ever made for whitetail deer hunting.

As for those who have said that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a lousy deer cartridge....it is most likely the fact that the man behind the gun is the lousy part of that equation. I have killed about 7 or 8 deer with the 6.5 CM and every one has either dropped in the tracks or within 20 yards. Every load used has been a handload, with one deer each taken the 120 and 140 Nosler BT's and the rest killed with a 120 Sierra Prohunter SP. I have seen hunters using the 6.5 CM with bullets that I don't believe were designed for hunting, and I have wondered about their experiences. Regardless of the cartridge one uses, there are right bullet choices and wrong ones.