What's ironic, in my case, is I was a huge devotee of the 6.5x55 and ballyhoo'ed it to anybody foolish enough to let me near them. After messing with Swedish Mausers for ten years I glommed onto one of the very first Winchester XTR M70 Featherweights that were chambered for the round, back in '85 or '86, I don't remember. That fueled my proselytizing of the 6.5x55 even more, often making my point by comparing it to the .270. Jeezuey, I think the longest kill I made with it was 150 yards, maybe. Nowadays I would rather hunt deer with a .30-30 bolt gun or Savage .303 and cast lead bullets, so there. I predict that trend to be the "Next Big Thing". Or not. grin

If I get another 6.5 it'll be a 6.5x55 (I have a line on a #1 single shot in that caliber), or a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, or both. I'll probably shoot cast bullets out of them too if they come to pass. ELD/VLD means absolutely nothing to me, no matter the cartridge it's launched from. That's not to say I'm not enjoying this thread- I do like hearing what's on other folk's minds.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty