I think that a factor that drives discussions about such whizbangs as the 6.5CM, .270, fast twist high velocity .22's, et al, is the gun press (wherein most of the prominent writers live out in wide open fly-over states) who enjoy long range shooting opportunities on a regular basis- and write about them. Add to that the gun readers who revel in those writings and fantasize about joining the ranks of the "long range heroes", and the shooting suppliers (advertisers) who see a way to make yet another buck feeding off of those fantasies.

In the real world of people like myself who live east of the Mississippi who have no access to über long range target shooting/hunting opportunities, the entire world of ELD/VLD bullets and the rifles that handle them wonderfully is superfluous. Yet the local shops are also selling an inordinate amount of that gear to guys who will never be presented with shots much beyond 100 yards and who rarely fire more than a box or two of ammo through their fusils on a yearly basis. Such is the power of fantasy.

I submit that if Creedmoor sales were relegated strictly to the guys who can actually make use of its wondrous charms, and have the opportunities to do so, it would be but an interesting footnote in the annals of shooting. But, the same can be said of many other chamberings down through the years, so our fantasies are nothing new.

I wonder what the next big thing will be? I hope it's equally astounding for that is what helps keep our sport alive.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty